Monday, September 2, 2013

Even better red peppers...Day 7 GBE

I'm not sure anyone is keeping track besides me, but it is day 7 and I am still getting it done!!  Believe me, no one is more surprised than I am!!!

Now on to more peppers and a summer recipe...


I was so excited with my previous "best red pepper ever" but I have to amend that and say that the pepper on the left is now the best red pepper I have ever grown!!  Of course, it isn't perfect, and I photographed its best side, but who doesn't like that to happen?   I have to say it is definitely the best one to date.  I can't even hope to top it, but what a treat it will be if I do!!!  (Let's give credit where it is due...I have a feeling my pepper success has to do with the fact that John had a big part in making sure the garden got watered every day, and my kids who were often the ones I sent down to turn on that water.  So really, maybe its the best red pepper they have ever grown!!  :)

At any rate, here is a favorite summer recipe that uses garden veggies, and is really yummy!  (I could have used a red pepper in it, but chose to save these to roast and use on paninis!!  Also yummy!!

Fire and Ice

6 large firm, ripe tomatoes (I like to use romas I often use two smaller ones to equal one)
1 large green pepper, seeded
1 red onion (I always use a yellow, or a Walla Walla Sweet if I have one.)
1 cucumber

DRESSING:
3/4 cup vinegar
1 1/2 tsp celery salt
1 1/2 tsp mustard seed
1/8 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
4 1/2 tsp sugar
1/8 tsp red pepper (cayenne)
1/4 cup cold water

Cut tomatoes into 4 or 8 parts.  You can skin them if you want, I never do.  Slice green pepper into strips.  Slice onion into rings.  Place in a bowl.  Heat dressing ingredients until boiling.  Let boil hard for 1 minute.  While hot, pour over vegetables.  Chill, stirring occasionally.  Just before serving add sliced cucumber.  (I often add them with the other vegetables.  (The tomatoes will keep for days in the fridge.  Fresh cukes can be added as they will get soft.

Serves 8

Enjoy!!! 



No comments:

Post a Comment