Grace, the grace of God, has always been a bit murky to me. Probably because the Atonement has been murkier! I get how we can repent, be forgiven and move forward, but really, I never understood how it worked in someone's life who isn't out committing major sins and needing major repentance. I also, always loved the song, Amazing Grace. I am not sure I have ever truly listened to the words of that song, but I love the concept that His grace in "amazing", because it is.
A while ago, Brandon sent me a link to a Speech by Brad Wilcox that he gave at BYU in 2011. Well, suffice to say, I loved it, it sank into my heart and I shared it with many people, especially those in my life who I felt could use encouragement in their struggles. I used part of it for a Family Home Evening lesson. I even worked it into a Relief Society lesson wondering if it was an approved resource for my lesson. But since then I have...
Seen it in BYU Alumni Magazine
Heard it referenced over our pulpit by a High Counselor
And, found it in the September issue of the Ensign.
There have been other "sightings" and I'm so happy for that! It is truly the best explanation of what the Atonement means in our lives and how to take full advantage of it. Which I think is so important because if we don't take advantage of it, the Savior died on the cross all for naught!! The best way we can show our appreciation for his sacrifice for us is to take FULL advantage of it!
You can read the talk in the Ensign, but I think it is more powerful to listen to or watch it from the link above. Anyone who feels like they are too far gone to be eligible for repentance will be encouraged by Bro. Wilcox's plea for them to try it, to trust in it and to seek the peace it can bring.
I am grateful to have this knowledge and the way it has enriched my life. I am grateful for the Atonement and the love of the Savior in my life. I am grateful for the power of Grace.
*Here is a quirky little sideline about Brad Wilcox. When I lived in Scottsbluff, Nebraska, the play "My Turn on Earth" came to town. That is still a little baffling to me, because Scottsbluff is about as small as it sounds. Just around 10,000 people, and out in the middle of the Nebraska panhandle. Anyway, Brad Wilcox was one of the actors in the play, and I'm quite certain I got his autograph on my program. I remember going on stage after it was over. Crazy, huh? I also remember selling him movie tickets to the Varsity Theatre when I worked at the Candy Jar as a BYU student. I'm sure I recognized his face as he probably paid in cash and quite possibly may have commented that I saw him in the play. Not sure on that point! Well, here it is many years later, and he has made a different sort of impression on me!
Sunday, September 29, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment