Tuesday, September 10, 2013

2 weeks GBE

Well, two weeks into it, and I haven't been perfect, but I haven't given up either.  Honestly, I don't feel inspired at all to be witty, introspective, or impressive.  I do feel like sharing 2 blog posts I have run across recently.

This one is by Jen Hatmaker.  (Maybe some of you have heard of her post that highlighted her as the Worst End of School Mom Ever.  It is pretty funny in and of itself, and if you are interested, click here.  My son-in-law Brandon actually sent that post to me, and I was ever so glad.)  But I have digressed...

The other blog post was shared by my youngest sister on Facebook. (The language in this post is not squeaky clean.  Just a head's up.)

What I find interesting about both of these posts is not only that they are somewhat related, but that neither of these moms are LDS.  Now, I'm not going to claim LDS women have the market on comparing themselves to other moms, but those of you who have listened to General Conference or a General RS Broadcast lately, know that it is a big problem among us.  We strive hard to be perfect, then fall short because we are human, and move on to beating ourselves up because we are NOT perfect, and surely are the LEAST perfect of all the sisters in our ward who are, well, perfect!!  It is a vicious circle.

Now that I am a grandma, and my kids are not little anymore, and I have (more than a few) grey hairs, I can honestly say that I am often able to refrain from comparing myself to others.  I think I have learned at least that much in my life so far.  But I would be dishonest if I said that the comparison monster does not rear his ugly head occasionally, and I have to beat it away (one good use for those gargantuan zuchinni, hee hee) and step back and remember that I would be a fool to let him get into my head.

I think that the majority of the time, though, I rejoice in the good things that happen to those in my circle, and that I sorrow with them for the not so good things that happen, and cheer them on when they are doing something hard or new, and, most of all, that I keep my perspective.  I would like to think these things anyway...

As I said at the beginning, I'm not perfect, but I haven't given up...

No comments:

Post a Comment