Tuesday, June 24, 2014

What I would tell my kids...

Earlier this year, the bofm365 challenge on Instagram posed this question for the reading in 2 Ne 1:13-29 "If you were to leave some final words of counsel with your family, what would you say?  Why?"
I jotted down this quick list and stuck it in my bag, and every so often, I look at it, and think "Yep, I would want to tell them those things."  I decided to put them in permanent (is a blog considered permanent?) form, so here they are, with a bit of commentary, because I always have something to add...

Kindness matters -  I saw a quote on a marquee in town just today that says "Three things in human life are important.  The 1st is to be kind.  The 2nd is to be kind.  And the 3rd is to be kind."  I have seen a few people who are credited with this, but it doesn't matter who said it.  I know from experiences of trying show more kindness to those around me that it is true.

Always kiss your spouse goodnight...and hello...and goodbye...and just because.  - Keep your courtship going.  It may not seem like a huge thing, but it is one of the most important things you can do to keep your marriage strong.

Keep the commandments - This one seems like a no-brainer, but there is evidence all around that many people do not choose to do this.  It will bring you happiness, and help you avoid a lot of pain and heartache.

Follow the Prophet - This may seem redundant of keeping the commandments, but in a church that has the privilege of continuing revelation through a living prophet, we would be foolish to stop our obedience at the 10 commandments.

Service, service, service - Sometimes service falls into your lap, and sometimes you have to seek it, but try to do something everyday that will ease someone else's burden.

Enjoy the journey - On my very long list of regrets is not enjoying all the aspects of this journey I have lived so far.  I am trying to rectify that.

Love deeply - No one will ever be spoiled by too much love.  Give all you have.  I promise it will come back to you.  Never withhold words or actions of affection.  Either of those is the greatest gift you can give someone.

Be brave (or to quote Sara Barielles, "Say what you wanna say") - Don't be mean, don't be rude, but don't be afraid to say what you want or what is really important to you.

And finally (well for now anyway) Be yourself - Don't be someone you aren't just to impress someone else and don't apologize about being you.

I am sure there will be more, and maybe I'm off base on a thing or two, but I have learned a thing or two in my life, and I don't think you will go wrong following these little bits of wisdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment