I also started reading "The Word's Strongest Librarian" during track season, but darn if the language didn't go south on that one! I was VERY disappointed because I liked the story, liked the author's writing style, and wanted to know how he got to his present level of faith. (It is a memoir about a man with Tourette's who is also LDS, but doesn't sound like he has a really strong testimony. He is a librarian at the SLC Public Library who discovered that by lifting weights, he could have some control over his Tourette's.) If anyone reads it, let me know, I'd love to discuss it with you.
I have been "reading" everyday, but it is a blog that I had to start at the beginning of and am working my way through the years until I get to present day. It is called "The Happiness Project". I read the book in March and have been playing catch up ever since. Luckily, a lot of what is in her blog, is from her book (so far anyway) so it has been a nice reminder of things I liked about the book. I only have 3 1/2 years to go until I am caught up! :) (I would really like to know how I am so OCD about this!! I did this with another blog "The English Geek" and I don't regret doing it, I just wonder why I have this compulsion to start from the beginning. Maybe I just like to know their whole story!!)
So, that brings us to Thursday. I heard about the book "The Funeral Dress" on a podcast I listen to called "Books on the Night Stand. (If you are a reader, I think you will agree that is a great name for a podcast about reading/books. Who among us doesn't have a pile of books TBR on some flat surface in their home??) I requested it from our library, and of course, it had to be ordered in. (Don't let me get on my soapbox about that) I really thought I ordered in the book on CD, but no, when I picked it up, it was in paperback (with French flaps and deckled edges no less) and I started it the next day. Last night I really had a chance to get into the story, and I can't wait to keep going. I really hope my language "rule" doesn't have to be employed** because so far, I love this book! A young girl, with an illegitimate daughter, is supposed to move in with a couple to escape living with her horrible dad. Emmalee met Leona when she started working at a shirt factory and Leona took Emmalee under her wing and showed her how to sew collars. Leona and her husband were just killed and then I had to turn out the light because I was so tired. Don't worry, I didn't spoil anything for you!! Sigh...a good read! Happiness!!!

*I guess I do read a book everyday that I can hold in my hands, "The Book of Mormon", but I am talking about a recreational read here.
**Another book "Longbourn" had to be scrapped because of language!! Did they really use the f-bomb back in the early 19th century?? Really???
No comments:
Post a Comment