We are nothing if not predictable around here, so its no surprise that our Thanksgiving menu doesn't change much from year to year. I did try
Kate's Thanksgiving Turkey last year, and it was a keeper. I think this year's turkey was even better, despite the fact that the Turkey Bags I always have in the pantry have somehow disappeared. In the end I used Alton Brown's cooking method, and although it put our dinnertime about an hour later than we wanted, it was worth the wait. So moist, and VERY flavorful. Brining seems to be the way to go! And as a former member of the "Buy the biggest turkey in the store" club, I have revoked that membership and joined the "Around 13 pounds is ideal" club.
 |
| The partially carved turkey |
Trev has found his Thanksgiving calling as the Dressing chef. Notice his vigorous form in the picture below. His dressing smells and tastes just like the dressing I grew up on, and it makes me smile to sniff or eat it. YUM!! The combination of onion, celery, basil, bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, hamburger and Italian sausage is the perfect thing. Not that I don't love other types of stuffing/dressing, but this is hands down my favorite.
 |
| Trev grinding the meat for the dressing. The trusty Kitchen Aid is ever at the ready. How does one pull off Thanksgiving without this most important tool on the counter?? |
 |
Mmm..the dressing is ready and waiting to be baked. Notice the cranberries in the background. I tried a new recipe with them this year also. Thanks again, Kate at Our Best Bites. Really yummy!! Again, a new variation on an old theme.
|
On the subject of cranberries - several years ago, I decided to try fresh cranberry sauce instead of the canned sort from years past. Most of my immediate family doesn't really eat it, but for me, I will never go back. We do have guests who are with us some Thanksgivings who like them from a can, so I can't give them the boot every year, but for the most part...fresh baby, all the way!!
We also managed to fit in a temple trip and a visit to Coeur d'Alene to visit with Chelsie and Dallin and the Dance clan. It was great fun to spend a little time with the soon-to-be-new mom and dad! Chelsie definitely has a baby bump, but not a very big one...
Here are my top ten photos of the day after Thanksgiving. We did a little project and also participated in the 2nd annual Post-Thanksgiving Hike. Good times!!
 |
| Here are our finished Symbols of Christmas! We have a plan for them, but can't divulge it yet. We all liked the candle best! Oohh! Sparkly! |
 |
| The kids can't pass up a chance to be a little weird! |
 |
| Since we live in the land of Lewis and Clark, we had to have an impersonation. I don't know who is Lewis or who is Clark, but I do know Trev is Seaman, the big, black Newfie who went on the journey. |
 |
| It was fun to have our college freshman home for the weekend. She was full of tales of life at BYU-I! She spends A LOT of time studying, but still manages to have plenty of fun!! |
 |
| Poor Trev! Right in their sites! Lucky for him, neither of them would know what to do with an actual gun if they had one in their hands. Looking at Amber, I'd say she thought it was bow hunting season. |
 |
| Stalking any unwary hikers. Luckily, none came our way. (Did I mention my kids like to be weird??) |
 |
| Notice Amber's hat. She has learned the importance of keeping her head covered now that she lives in Rexburg! :) |
 |
| Our hike took us to the river's edge. Of course, that led to a rock skipping contest. No winner was declared. |
 |
| Amber had to prove she could balance on the rock and not get wet. Kristin didn't fare so well. She hiked back with one wet foot. |
 |
| The happy hikers at the end of the trail. It was a great hike!! |
One final note from this week. Kristin missed school Monday because she had a vague unsettled pain in her stomach. She rallied and went to school on Tuesday, but by that night, she was in pain, and if not for the lack of a fever, I was sure she had appendicitis. I went to bed Tuesday night determined to call the Dr. the next morning if she was still not feeling well, fever or not! It was all for naught, as she woke up Wednesday feeling much better, and she hasn't looked back! Whew!!
No comments:
Post a Comment