Monday, December 9, 2013

a few random things...

Kristin's wallet went missing at the DECA trip last week.  No trace to be found.  Lost - money, her driver's permit, school ID, and library card, as well as at least 2 gift cards.  We don't know for sure that someone stole it, but we don't know for sure that someone didn't steal it.  Disappointing anyway you look at it.

We woke up to a broken heater on Sunday morning, right in the middle of the cold snap we are having.  Last night it was 2 deg. at one point and the high yesterday was only about 18 or so, if that much.  We had the repairman out today, he diagnosed and fixed the problem quickly, and we are back in business.  Luckily, we had one warm side of the house yesterday, and spent a lot of time there!!  And, who knew 3 hours of church would be so welcome??  Needless to say, we are grateful to be warm again!!

Our Rexburg co-ed is also in the middle of an Arctic weather pattern, and all of Rexburg and surrounding areas were without power for most of Wednesday.  She and much of the rest of BYU-I spent the day in the one building on campus with a generator, so was able to stay warm and no doubt, get some serious social time in to boot!



We got our tree on Saturday and started decorating it and the house on Sunday.  This poor wise man lost his head. Maybe this is what would have happened to the real wise men if Herod had gotten a hold of them when they didn't go back to see him after seeing Christ.  My elf who dropped this felt incredibly bad, but as with other Willow Tree statues that I, myself, have broken, it was easily put back together, and none the worse for the wear.  For as many years as we have had that nativity set, its pretty amazing that this is the first broken piece!

John and Trev also put up the lights in the front, which was no small feat, given the weather.  I can't remember the temperature exactly, but I'm pretty sure it was in the teens!!  Yikes! The front of the house looks very festive when you come in the driveway!  Lovely!

Saturday, I also made caramel corn.  It was a thank you for the people who performed at our Ward Christmas party on Friday.  And, yes, now that you ask, the popcorn popper is from the 80's!  John and I got it for a wedding gift, and it dutifully pops corn for me every December so I can make this treat.

It may be old, but like many of us, is still very useful!

Butter, brown sugar and light corn syrup.  Notice that little gem of a rubber scraper, spatula, whatever you call it.  It is from Williams Sonoma.  It came in a set of 3 and I use them ALL the time!  One of the best kitchen purchases I have made in the last few years.

The finished product!  Crunchy and buttery and yummy!!!  See the recipe below...

Oven Caramel Corn
6 quarts popped corn (one of those big tupperware bowls that used to be so popular), old maids removed
2 sticks butter (1 cup)                                         1 tsp salt *
2 cups brown sugar                                             1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup light corn syrup                                       1 tsp butter flavoring (optional)**

In a large pot (at least 3 quarts) boil butter, brown sugar, corn syrup and salt for 5 minutes, stirring often.  Remove from heat and add 1 tsp baking soda and butter flavoring, if using and mix well.  (The mixture will foam up)
Pour over popped corn and stir to coat.  Place in 2 greased 9 x 13 pans and bake at 200 deg. for 1 hour.  Stir every 15 mins.
Let cool and store in airtight container.  I put mine on large baking sheets to cool.
*I didn't add salt on Saturday and didn't miss it at all.
**I did add butter flavoring, and thought it was a great addition.  I usually don't have any, therefore don't use it.


No comments:

Post a Comment