I just finished this book last night! After I finished, I laid in bed and cried a little, and rejoiced a little, and marveled a little that I had read it. The story is of a 5th grade boy, born with a rare facial deformity who is starting public school for the first time, ever. His face is so deformed that when people see him for the first time, they can't hide their shock/horror/discomfort...you can insert your own negative word. It is sad, it is funny, it is inspiring, and it is worth every second you will spend reading it. I love the realizations his classmates come to, I love the kindness he is shown, and I love the idea of an affirmation a month from his English teacher. I also love that this book may be something kids with similar problems can use as inspiration or at the very least, support. Just getting this story out there is one more tool to bring awareness to those of us who don't have these kinds of things in our lives. It is recommended for ages 8 and up. Also, this is RJ Palacio's first book! Good for her!
Now, having gushed about it so, I realize that not everyone will think as highly of this book as I do. None the less, I think it is worth a try. For you and if you have children, for them as well.
ps - as an added bonus, there is no swearing in this book!! Yay!
No comments:
Post a Comment