As it is, Mary Roach handled the topic with humor, information and discretion. It is not so much an organ by organ description of how the digestive system works, but more of a collection of things having to do with many of those organs. One example is the research that has been done on them (and the crazy techniques researchers have employed). Another example is how people have used certain parts of their bodies for different things. (I really could have done without the chapter that described how inmates smuggled contraband into prison, and along with that, how drug mules attempt to evade detection. I learned way more than I ever wanted to know!!) I was fascinated to find out the real cause of Elvis' death, and although I hope I never have to employ the latest treatment for some diseases, I am happy for those who are benefiting from scientists who are willing to work outside the box, especially when that research involves using subject matter that most of the world wouldn't get close to with gloves, a clothespin on our nose, and probably a bio-hazard suit.
Just as I anticipated, her sense of humor shined through, and kept me turning pages. Her side notes (for lack of a better word), scattered throughout the book were informative as well as funny. I was particularly tickled with her glee when someone's name was a closely related word to their work (example - Dr. Crapo, who invented the term "dung lung" to describe the condition that killed people who have to work with large amounts of cow manure. Although, that was not her best example, but as I tried to find one before I wrote this, I couldn't find the one I was looking for. That was someone named Colin (something) who worked in the field of, you guessed it, the colon. As a side note of my own, I once knew of a school nurse whose last name was Bonebreak! :)
I will not recommend this book to all my friends, actually, probably not to any. I tried to explain it to my hairdresser, and I could tell she was NOT interested, and thought I was maybe just a little bit crazy - but it was a very interesting read, as well as informative.
I can't say I will read all of Mary Roach's books, but I will say I am a fan!
No comments:
Post a Comment