The garden has been producing zucchini and yellow squash, plus cucumbers for about a month, but just recently the tomatoes and peppers have come on.
This is the best red pepper I have EVER grown!! I know its not much, but I'm so proud!!
The zucchini has given me fits because I have tried all season to get them when they are small like the one pictured. If you've ever grown this vegetable, you know that in the morning it won't be quite big enough, so you intent to pick it in the evening, but of course, you forget, so the next morning, it is large enough to be Fred Flinstone's club!! AAUUGGHH!!! (Actually the same goes for the crookneck squash!! What is it about summer squash anyway?)
At any rate, there have been some successes, and tonight I was able to create this yummy and very pretty dish. Its called a vegetable tian. Maybe you know what tian means, but I didn't, so here is a definition for all of us.
"Tian is a French word that describes an earthenware square or rectangular casserole dish. A tian can be a variety of dishes but originally referred to a Provencal-style mix of vegetables that are cooked, baked or roasted in a gratin style."
This definition comes from this website http://aspoonfulofthyme.blogspot.com/2011/05/what-is-vegetable-tian.html
Well, that explains why I was attracted to this dish!! French Provencal-Style? I am there!! This is from a recipe Chelsie posted on Pinterest, and it is yummy, but here is a tip...When it says to season the dish, really season it, don't just sprinkle a little salt, pepper and italian seasoning on it. It can take some serious flavor. And I didn't use potatoes, because the first time I made it, I didn't care for them, so they are gone!
This is a perfect way to use up those fresh vegetables, and is a nice change from sauteed, or steamed then mashed squash. YUM!!
No comments:
Post a Comment