Saturday, May 9, 2009

Grandma Betty Boop


Lucky us! We've had Grandma Hughes staying with us for the past 2 months. I feel especially fortunate since I never thought she'd be able to come visit again after her fall a few years ago.

She has been a delight, and except for being miserable for a few days because all the spring trees sent her into a major allergy attack, I think she's enjoyed herself.

Here are a few highlights so far from her stay with us -

Kristin and Trevor's piano recital


The Pinewood Derby


John's Birthday


Allison competing in Jr. Miss


Coloring Easter Eggs with the gang



Talmage, Ashley and Brandon coming to visit - Talmage is her first Great-Great Grandchild



Prom preparations - this was after Allison's friend took her stuff home!


In the end - the mess was worth it.




And of course, the 5 generation picture.



Also included in our activities have been lunches with friends and of course, we've both enjoyed "Dancing with the Stars". Can you believe Ty is still around? Go Cowboy!!!

You can see, we've tried our best to wear her out, but she is made of tough stuff, and keeps up with our every move! Well - mostly. :-)

Things often come full circle, and its been a joy to have Grandma here and for me to help take care of her, as she once took care of me, although she's pretty self-sufficient and just needs a helping hand occasionally. She'll leave us in a few weeks, but who knows, maybe she'll make her way up north again in the future.



4 comments:

  1. Michele, she must be pretty tough to keep up with you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a neat opportunity! And Allison's dress is beautiful! Did you make it? I can't believe how much all of your kids have changed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can honestly say that some of the memories made with my grandmother during the year she lived with us were some of the best of my lifetime. Yep, there were challenges, but they were all worth it. She loos like a happy, cheerful Grandma and so glad she has been able to watch your cute kids in their activities. Every 80something year old should attend a pinewood derby, much more fun than when they had to help paint the car 20 minutes before race time, then bake it in the oven to try to dry the paint ~ please tell me it is not just the Nielson's that have done this? Enjoy your summer with the kids and your last few weeks with Grandma. I will look foward to getting to meet her when she comes out my direction. My Grandma Reid is now 93 and going strong, and spending some time with your Grandma will help me through not getting to see my own as much as I would like. I'll look forward to it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! Love all the pictures. And a sincere thank you for the representation in Allison's Jr. Miss photo... my arm and my camera-- my best features. :) I still can't believe the 5 generations!!! Such a rare treasure. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete