Sunday, December 30, 2012

The Sewing Room Mascot




This is my thread cabinet.  Just one of the many things I love about my laundry/sewing room. John made it for me from a pattern I found and ordered.  I really love this cabinet! See the yardstick around the cabinet door?  I found those yardsticks on ebay and they are original, from West Virginia and old (circa 1950).  You can see the old fashioned phone number listed - RE 4-5511. Believe it or not, by the time I was born, they were using the present-day seven digit phone number, but I always found the letter/number combo a bit intriguing.  See the tin on the top?  That is a relic from my childhood and is quite bizarre, but I like it, always have, always will.  The mini oval-shaped box?  That really means nothing, other than I am drawn to toile patterns, and it has that toile look. The photo in the middle is one Alli took in her LHS photography class.  It is Trevor's hand catching drops of water from the spigot.  Clever and artistic.  The ribbon hanging on the side is close to impossible to make out, but that is an "Award of Merit" for a quilt I entered in the fair a few years ago - Square Deal, a wall hanging.  I remember how nervous I was when I saw the judges begin their judging process, then how happy I was to see them pull out their camera to snap a picture of it!  They really loved it!  I took it as a great compliment.  The assortment of threads are a little less than exciting, but hope to remedy soon by adding some bright spools to give a little "pop" to the cabinet.  Not really part of the thread cabinet, but another top favorite of the room is the beautiful orange walls! They are a Christmas gift from Dallin and Chelsie.  I love, love, love them!!!

Looking a little closer, you can see one of the quotes I have stuck in the corner.  Amber used that for one of her YCL favors at camp 2 years ago.  It  is a great quote, and I loved it before she used it, so I was happy she had a leftover I could have.  The other quote is about the pleasure of a bike ride by JFK.  Not such a pretty presentation, but a quote about a great subject.

But did you notice this guy tucked in the corner of the yellow thread section?   He started life as two balls of sticky tack, one yellow lump, and one obviously white.  One day, I realized he had been created!  Soooo cute!  I'm not sure which of my kids made him.  I have a guess who, but I kind of like not being sure!  I smile when I see him, and like to think he is keeping an eye on the room, just in case the scissors decide to rebel or the pins rise up in revolt.  He'll keep things in check!  Haven't thought much about a name, I'm not sure what fits him.  I will have to think about that!  I think he's pretty cute and looking at him, brings me happiness, but more than that, knowing one of the kids took time to make him for me makes me feel special!   That probably wasn't the intent of the sculptor, I have a feeling creativity just took over, but I love it when my kids do little, unexpected things for me!  The word special is often overused, which is too bad, because there is really not another word I could use to describe how I feel - special! 

1 comment:

  1. Love this. Love hearing your musings. Makes me smile. You are special. Very much so. Love ya.

    ReplyDelete