Sunday, December 30, 2012

One Shining Moment x 2

Back in my young married days, I used to watch a lot more March Madness than I do now.  A lot more as in I actually watched it, as opposed to not really even knowing the games are on!  (Sidenote- I was often known to root for the "Cinderella" team.)  Despite the fact I never watch anymore, I have always enjoyed and still do enjoy the segment after the final game called "One Shining Moment".  It has been known to bring me to tears!  :)

Well, the past few months, I have watched several 7/8 grade boys, and Freshman girls Basketball games.  And, March Madness aside, I had a couple of shining moments that made my heart swell for days after.

The first one happened at one of Kristin's games.  Her teammate, Ashley B, hurt her leg when she was fouled, and couldn't shoot the foul shots.  Her coach called another Ashley from the bench and told her to go shoot the free throws.  Here's the thing about Ashley #2.  She hasn't played much basketball, and when she walks out on the court, you can immediately tell she is not confident being there.  Nevertheless, she stepped up to the free-throw line, and wouldn't you know it, she made the first shot!!  The bench erupted, the student body erupted, the parents erupted!!  Ashley #2 was grinning from ear to ear!  It was a moment to warm even the hardest heart!!  I really don't think it matters to anyone that she didn't make the second shot because SHE MADE THE FIRST ONE!!!  My friend, Roberta, and I couldn't quit talking to each other about how great it was!!  We both rode that happiness wave for days.

Shining Moment #2 came the next week!  I was at Trev's game.  On the opposing team's bench was a boy who was clearly disabled.  His name was Jake.  He sat on the bench most of the game.  His coach seemed more interested in winning than making sure everyone had equal playing time, but that is another post for another day.  Anyway, Jake seemed content to sit and joke around with the other players not in the game.  Towards the end of the 2nd Quarter, he was subbed in and not long after that, he set up for a 3 point shot and made it!!  He was thrilled, the student body was thrilled, the parents were thrilled, Trev's team was thrilled!  He pointed at the coach like "you're the man", he pointed at his teammates, he raised his hands in the air in victory!!  He smiled the rest of the quarter, tried another 3 pointer and almost made it!  Half time came and he was still smiling.  His teammates made sure he knew how happy they were for him, and made sure everyone knew about the great shot!  That was a little shining moment in itself.  I witnessed true friendship from several boys who could easily have thought themselves too cool for a friend like Jake.  He sat the majority of the 2nd half, and was still smiling!  It was another heart-warming moment, not soon to be forgotten and although Roberta wasn't there to share it with me, we again rode the happiness wave for days. (I, of course, had to tell her about it later, but she was still just as thrilled as if she had been there.  That's just the kind of friend she is.)

So, those shining moments were better than any March Madness ones I have ever seen!  They will long be remembered by me and by my heart!




No comments:

Post a Comment