Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Wise words from the good doctor

Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss!
Through the years, Dr. Seuss has delighted children of all ages with his nonsensical books filled with made up words that rhyme. Many a parent has felt like they read a whole book of tongue twisters after finishing one of his stories. Some of his stories are just plain fun, some are allegorical, some even deal with environmental issues, and some teach valuable life lessons.

Here are a few of the life lessons we have learned throughout the years from Theodor Geisel

- Cats are not dependable babysitters when parents are away on a day that is too wet to play.

- A person's a person, no matter how small.

- You may really like something you've never tasted before, even if it is offered by an annoying person named Sam I Am.

- Stars on your bellies or the lack thereof, really don't matter at all.

- Some really wacky things can happen on Wednesdays.

- A book doesn't really have to make sense to be entertaining. Can you moo like Mr. Brown?

Of course, there are many other books written by Dr. Seuss. The above list is just a few that came to mind as I'm typing.

Here are some words by Dr. Seuss that I've never found in any of his books, and that has gained relevance in my life as a mom with children starting to leave the nest and make their own way in the world. Each time I put one on a plane or drop one off at college, or leave one of their homes, these words bring comfort to my heart and mind.

"Don't cry because its over, smile because it happened."

I won't say it works every time because I'm usually fighting back tears on the above ocasions, but I do remember to smile because it happened, and that helps me not cry as long! :-)

Hope you remembered to eat Green Eggs and Ham this morning!

2 comments:

  1. Cute post. We have to work some more Dr. Seuss into our library... I think we have one book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Dr. Seuss! and I love that last quote, I have heard it before but never knew he was the one who said it.

    ReplyDelete