Wednesday, January 27, 2016

"Uncle"

As a general rule, I consider myself pretty good at adapting to change.  I know it is a necessary part of life, and yet, occasionally, there comes a situation that I just can't embrace.  This is the story of when I had to recently cry "Uncle".

The story starts about a year ago.  We got serious about changing our 23 year-old countertops as the old ones were, well, you can go here if you really want to see them.  (They were beyond starting to look worn out, so the color wasn't the only reason they needed to change.)

Not being ones to rush into things, we finally got the new ones installed in June, and got the backsplash installed shortly there after.  I love the new look.  I think it suits our style very well and I feel like our kitchen has come into the 21st century.  (Yes, I know there are still orange cabinets.  Do not be looking for those to change anytime soon.  I guess I have to change my statement to say that "part" of the kitchen is now in the 21st century!  :)  There were a few things I wanted done differently, but as I didn't get my way, I will just have to continue working on getting over those.  :)  

One thing, though, was a problem from the minute I started putting things back on the countertops.  My beloved KitchenAid would NOT slide under the cabinet in its usual spot!  No way, no how!  Believe me, I tried.  There was one space it fit, but it was across the room.  Now, I my kitchen isn't huge, but it also isn't a galley kitchen, so across the room was a big adjustment.  I was left with 2 choices when I wanted to use my mixer - 
1 - Use it where it was and make trips back and forth for supplies and ingredients, or
2 - Carry it to the bar which is more conveniently located to most things. (I know, not the heaviest appliance in the world, but still not feather-light either!)

They were both workable ideas, and I tried them both for about 6 months, but a few weeks ago, I finally threw in the towel, tilted the mixer enough so I could get it under the lip of the cabinet, and cried "Uncle", really loud!  There it will stay.  It will not come sliding out every time I want to use it.  It will be harder to clean up spills and spatters, blah, blah, blah.  I know, first world problems and I should just be grateful I even have a KitchenAid, because believe me, I use it and I love it!  But...the spoiled part of me is still a little ticked at the whole thing.  Ticked and a little suspicious of why there is one part of the kitchen it WILL fit in, when it won't anywhere else.  It must mean the countertops and/or cabinets are not truly level, but I'm going to pretend that isn't a possibility and not waste my time trying to figure it out.  I'd rather waste it ranting about the fact that it plain doesn't fit where I am used to it being. Because, if you can't change it, the next best thing is a good rant!  
Apparently, I cannot adjust to change in all things.  
Now, I guess, the only thing I can do is figure out how to embrace this and move on...(I'm working on it!)

No comments:

Post a Comment