I always knew it was in my future. About every woman I know over 50 suffers a big fall. It usually involves her head, and there is usually much bruising involved. Once, in 2011, I joked with Dawn as I stumbled getting onto an escalator at the airport, that I was not having my big fall before I was 50. "Does everyone have to have a big fall?" she wondered. I assured her that, yes, every woman does.
Well, I didn't waste much time after turning 50 to check it off my list.
Last week, while we were on Spring Break, we went to Utah to see the girls. We were excited!! Kristin and Trev went on Monday with some friends, and we followed on Wed. Grandpa, aka John, was so excited he woke up before 4 am that morning and we were out the door by a little after 4:30! :) Just like a kid at Christmas.
When we got there, Kristin wasn't feeling great, so we tried to figure out what was wrong with her. After a good nap, a lot of blankets and some gatorade, she seemed to be doing better. Trev and John went with Brandon and Talmage to a Jazz game. The vacation had begun!
After the game, Trev was not feeling great. We attributed it to a very large ice cream cone at the game, and figured after he threw up that was probably the end of it.
Sadly, this was not the case. He continued to get sick throughout the night, all night!!
As I got up to help him during one of his bouts of vomiting, I got turned around (it was dark, I was in an unfamiliar bedroom) and tripped over the suitcase and CRASHED into the closet door which happened to be open and hit my head on the corner of said door! I was in so much pain!!! I crouched on the floor, simulaneously crying and laughing because it hurt so bad, but at the same time was so funny to replay in my head. (It took most of the rest of the night to not burst out in giggles when I thought about it, even though it still REALLY hurt! John got me some ice (in a bag with a hole in it, unbeknownst to him, more humor!) and I spent the night propped up on the couch after I decided I probably shouldn't be laying down with a head injury. Did I have a concussion? I did wonder about that, but didn't have any signs of confusion, nausea or any other symptoms. (Thank you high school sports meetings for helping me learn WAY more about concussions than I care to know.) Luckily I didn't need stitches, as I probably would have had to drive myself, as Trev continued to be sick all night, and needed one of us there to help him! ;)
So, there you have it...the story of my BIG fall! You can see by the picture diary the progression of my injury! Not pretty! My sister predicted that people who don't know me (i.e. store clerks) wouldn't make eye contact with me once they saw my eye, and she was right. Some were pretty darn uncomfortable to have to wait on me. My Seminary students were equally grossed out and impressed when I showed up Monday looking like I had been in a fight. Not easy to impress 17 year olds, but I think I will not try to do that again.
And if you are wondering why I have a black eye when the lump from the fall is on my forehead, one of my students said its because the skin is so close to the skull and there is nowhere for the blood to go so it pools around the eye. There is your anatomy lesson for the day.
I suspect by the middle of next week my face will be back to normal, but for now, I will continue to track its progression and document my BIG fall.
| The day after it happened |
| 4 days later |
| 10 days later (see, its getting better) |
No comments:
Post a Comment