So, who exactly is Olga and why does she run? Olga Kotelko competed in Master's Track Meets until her death earlier this summer. She had just turned 95, and was excited to be in a new age category because she had pretty much broken all the records she could in the previous age group. She competed in 11 track and field events, and here is the kicker...she didn't start competing until she was 77 years old. She had played a little softball when she was in school, and when she was in her 70's, started playing slo-pitch softball, but didn't like the slo-pitch aspect of it, and after she was plowed over by a member of an opposing team, she decided to try track and field at the suggestion of one of her friends. She went on to win hundreds of medals, and to compete in track meets all over the world.
![]() |
| I love this picture. Who knew a sweet grandma looking person like her was such a fierce competitor? |
This book is her story, but also an inside look at her. Literally. The author tells all about tests Olga undergoes to study what exactly it is about her that enables her to be such a successful athlete. Dr's and researchers ran tests on her muscles, brain, reaction time, blood, and others I'm sure I'm forgetting. She has interesting sleep habits (an 1 1/2 self massage in the middle of the night), not very strict eating and drinking habits, and about the only regimented thing about her is that she trains every day. I really can't remember all the details about the tests she underwent, but the thing I came away from after reading this book is the importance of keeping yourself moving as you age. That and, the importance of relationships in your life. I really liked the part of the book that talked about the camaraderie among the people she competed against. Of course there is competition and everyone gives their all to their events, but there is a healthy dose of compassion/empathy for each other should someone fall during a race, or come upon some other calamity.
After I finished this book, I thought how I should try something like this. (Okay, quit laughing!!) It's a little like the time I read a book about a women who lost over 100 lbs, then ran the Salt Lake Marathon with her husband, and yes, after I read that book I thought it would be fun to run a marathon, only, I HATE RUNNING, so that only lasted about 1 week until I came to my senses. But when I was telling Trevor about this book, he said he would come watch me compete, and since I'm still SEVERAL years from 77, who knows, maybe I'll give it a try! I should investigate Master Bike Races. I at least like riding my bike, so its an activity I would enjoy!! (Sidenote - don't hold your breath.)
The author has a nice narrative style, which keeps the story moving. He developed a sweet relationship with Olga and was inspired to switch from the sedentary habits he had fallen into and run a 10k. (See, I'm not the only one Olga inspired! :)
Maybe this book isn't for everyone, but honestly, there is more to Olga than just being an athlete. I gained a lot from learning about her. Now that I know about her, I wish I could have followed her career, but clearly, that is now impossible. Rest in peace, Olga!
*On the subject of marathons, Allison ran the St. George Marathon today! So proud of her and so impressed she did it!! I talked to her this afternoon, and aside from being pretty tired, she sounded good. What a girl!! She is probably the closest I'll ever get to competing in a marathon. I'm good with that!


No comments:
Post a Comment