A few weeks ago I ended my blog post with a little foreshadowing...remember, the winds of change?
Well, they have blown through and after the storm, it ends up I am an Early Morning Seminary Teacher!! What?? Yep, its true. I will take off my Relief Society counselor hat, and change it for a dress/skirt every morning, and a class of sleepy, yet really good Juniors in high school.
To say this will be an adventure is an understatement. Seminary is a huge calling. A lesson almost every day there is school means every day or night before school, I will be planning, or hopefully, fine-tuning a lesson. I have always looked at the Seminary teachers with a little bit of awe. Their knowledge of the scriptures is so good our Sunday School teacher often consults one of them when there is a tricky concept/question. This particularly happens when we are discussing the Old Testament. Let me just say, she will have to skip right past me for any sort of clarification!! Especially when it is the OT. That course of study is not until next year, and even then, I will not be in any position to clarify anything, I guarantee it.
This year, I am grateful it is Church History and Doctrine and Covenants. And I'm grateful I have the Jr. class. Kristin will be one of my students, as well as her friends, who are all really nice teenagers. I will enjoy teaching them. We studied Church History my first year of Seminary, wayyyyy back when, and I remember I loved it!! I particularly remember loving my teacher, although, I couldn't tell you her name. I don't remember loving the other years I went as much as that Freshman year. (Not even my Sophomore year when the guy I crushed on right after we moved to Amarillo came every morning to pick me up.:)
I have thought about why I am getting this calling and all I can come up with is that one of my children was in a class who was particularly hard on teachers. Seminary and Sunday School in particular. I think they had a different teacher every year for Seminary, and although the majority of those teachers were good at their callings (I'm not going to lie, one teacher didn't prepare lessons and that was not good), that group of kids did not give them their attention, and for the most part were pretty disrespectful! Is there really such a thing as Karma? If so, this may be a good example of it. I will be atoning for the sins of my daughter's class. Come to think of it, two of the teachers I will be teaching with had kids in my daughter's class. Its all beginning to come together. (You may think I'm exaggerating, but I distinctly remember the girls taking cookies to their Sunday School teacher one day after church because she left the class in tears!! I rest my case!) I hope my class is more gentle with me!! Maybe if I do it more than one year, it will cover a multitude of transgressions by said class!! :)
But Karma or no, my new adventure begins Septermber 2nd, bright and early. Its a new dawn and a new day! I will just have to take a deep breath and jump right in.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment