Tuesday, March 25, 2014

A quick rundown

2014 has flown by for me!  What is the deal??  I feel like I am still back in January, but my calendar says it is March, so I guess I better catch up.  Here is a quick rundown of what is going on around here the last little while...

Trevor and John have been working like mad men getting this ready.  (If you have no idea what it is, just know I wouldn't either if it weren't for the fact that they are working on it in our shop.)  This is the pheasant brooder that Trev will use when he raises pheasant chicks.  He has been working with some men from the Idaho Wilderness Foundation (don't quote me on that organization, it's something along that line) to get ready for the little chicks to arrive.  After they have grown a little, he will take them across the draw and release them into the wild.  At this point, I have no idea how many he will get, but we'll soon find out as they will be here next week.  This isn't just something to keep Trevor busy, he is doing it for his Eagle Scout project.  
So far, the hardest part of the project has been getting a hold of the man who could give his okay to the whole thing.  That hurdle was crossed Saturday, and it is full-steam ahead.  I'll keep you posted on things... 




Tennis season is in full-swing (corny pun intended)  for Kristin.  She has played girls doubles once, but the rest of her matches have been girls singles.  This past weekend was the Lewiston Invite and she played some great tennis.  The first day she won 2 matches and lost one, which put her into the winner's bracket for the next day.  She won the first match Saturday and knew she was in for a workout her second match.  Her opponent was a Freshman from Ferris High School.  Kristin lost 2-6, 1-6, but...she set a goal for herself to get 3 games on the girl, and that is exactly what she did.  She was very pleased with things, and as an observer, I am here to tell you that she got inside that girl's head.  Kristin remained calm and cool, yet her opponent was visibly flustered when she got behind!  Way to go, girl!  Today, she played a Sr. from Sandpoint and beat her 6-3, 6-3.  (Just a sidenote on the above picture.  This is from the first match Kristin played in Friday.  The girl she beat had a huge red bow in her hair.  My friend and I decided that if you are going to sport something like a big red bow, you better back it up with some stellar tennis!  :) and see that blue sky?  It was beautiful tennis weather, and I have the rosy nose to prove it!!  Keep on a comin', Spring!!)
 Recognize the girl in the black pants?  I know you can't see her face, but it is our own Amber!  She showed up on our driveway Friday afternoon!  What a great surprise.  She was the beneficiary of a friend's parents generosity, and we enjoyed every minute she was home.  It, of course, went much too fast, and this is sadly the only picture I took to prove she was home, but it was wonderful to have her here if only for a few days.  Speaking of days, just in case you are keeping track, there are less than 60 until her big day!!  It will go by much too quickly, I already know!!

 Finally, two books that have captured my attention lately.  The Happines Project is a record of what the author did for one year to increase her happiness.  It wasn't anything earth-shattering, but it was a good nudge to examine my life and see where I could step things up a little and increase my own happiness. I wonder if the author saw this article which I rambled on about a few months ago.  It is interesting to think about your own happiness, and also to know that being LDS gives me the inside scoop on "The Great Plan of Happiness".  The author has a blog, that interestingly enough, came out of her year-long quest.  I have enjoyed reading it, especially the quotes she posts every Saturday.  I am always happy to find a new quote to embrace.
I heard about The Power of Habit on two different podcasts in the last few months, so my interest was piqued and I had it sent to our library and have been reading it whenever I can.  In fact, I'm a little annoyed that I had to try to get the book for book club read (the meeting is tomorrow, and no I'm not going to get the book read) and couldn't keep moving forward with this one.  There is a lot of research that is referenced in this book, but it is interesting and easy to follow, so in this case, makes for compelling reading.  (Knowing how Starbucks trains their employees makes me glad I support them occasionally with a hot chocolate.)    We'll see if any of it sticks and I change some of my more annoying habits!!

No comments:

Post a Comment