Sunday, January 24, 2010

When life hands you lemonade...

Many of you who know me, know that our city library is a pathetic excuse for a library! Housed in a former hardware store, it is built out of cinder blocks and not nearly large enough for a town our size. The building it is attached to is of all things, a bar! I felt cheated when the town across the river built a large, beautiful new library a few years ago. Cheated because that town is about a third of the size of our city. Cheated because the voters over there were willing to pay a little more in their taxes to fund such a project! What is wrong with my fellow town members?

Well none of that really matters, because the simple facts are the following:

- we live in a state that requires a super-majority to pass a measure such as a new library
- we live in a town that is more blue collar than any other color - a library isn't really a priority for the super-majority around here
- I will probably die before we get a new library (okay, that's not a fact, just a speculation!)


All that having been said, those supporters of a new library are nothing if not "Make the best of a rotten situation" sort of folk, and they have made some pretty sweet lemonade out of the lemons handed to them.

Last summer, a group of kids, not sure of the age range, took to livening up the back side of the library! Here is the result! Such a bright spot! And you will notice that even the dumpster is looking pretty fine!


Kudos to the adult artist who spear-headed this project, and kudos to the kids who painted the mural that makes me smile each time I see it!

Here's to lemonade!

PS - Even though the library leaves much to be desired, the staff can't be beat! (I felt like I was including them in my disappointment. I am sure none of them would even see this, but I just wanted to give them a fair shake!)

2 comments:

  1. The age range was around 3rd grade and up. And YOU UPDATED THE BLOG!!!!!!! Finally!!! Kristin will love the cherries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michele, Love the cherries. Although I have to pay $75 a year for my library card, (don't ask) I have to sympathize with you because I now enjoy a 4 story, fully loaded library, with programs galore and a very freindly staff. My heart breaks for you still. However, you have the capability of downloading books to your ipod. This significant yet, small thing has not crossed the minds of the simple folk in Auburn. :) The murals have personalized your little library beautifully! love ya, JaNeise

    ReplyDelete