Sunday, September 14, 2008

SSR and other news

Our Home and Garden section begins with SSR. For some of you, SSR may mean Silent, Sustained, Reading. All well and good, but if you're at our house, and its Labor Day, SSR takes on a whole new meaning.

Amber and I spent all Labor Day morning on the other meaning of SSR - Super Stump Removal. We were quite proud after we managed to remove it with minimum help from anyone else. We are a bit sad the photographer didn't get a little closer, but you'll just have to employ a little imagination as to the size of said stump!!!


The rest of the crew also worked hard on Labor day. We can now report that our yard is ready for hydro-seeding and is now is in a holding pattern waiting for that to happen. Trevor was particularly excited to use the roller thingey. (Technical terms need not apply).

Apparently, our little red tractor had developed a little attitude this summer, and as we go to press, won't start for the gazillionth time this summer. We've had enough of its sass and decided it's time for a little attitude adjustment or maybe just a new starter. We'll see what the very nice tractor repairman has to say. We were glad we caught the tractor on a good day on Labor Day.



And in the news category of "Jobs I finally did that I couldn't put off any longer", I am happy to report that the ceiling of the dining/living/kitchen area is finished!!! Yaa Hoo!!!

In local news, We are all in a whirlwind to get our entries ready for the fair. This week is the big week. We have high hopes in the Art, Foods, Sewing and Lego/craft departments. Look for results soon in upcoming blogs. Exciting!!!

In the sporting news this week, we can report that Amber's soccer team is up and running (literally) and have 4 games under their belts. Two Saturdays ago, we all went up to Spokane and watched her play in a double header. The first game was well-played and the LC Ice won. The second game was also well-played, but the score was not in their favor. Amber's knee got stepped on towards the end of the second game. OUCH!!! She would like you to know, she ended up with welts.

This weekend brought another double-header, this time they had the home-field advantage. Unfortunately, they couldn't capitalize on either one, and came out on the losing end in both games. But, this reporter is happy to report, that she witnessed Amber giving her best effort ever in a game!!! Good Job!

In Arts and Entertainment , you will be interested to hear that we now have a trumpet in residence with the other instruments in our home. Kristin has a loaner from friends, and is starting this week to 'Blow her horn'.

For our religion report, I bring you news that Stake Conference was held for the Lewiston Stake this weekend. John spoke in the Kamiah session, and conducted the Saturday Evening session. The new Family History program was introduced and is scheduled to be up and running by the end of the month. Very exciting!!!

I had an irritating thing happen Saturday night as I tried to get to the dinner before the Sat. Session. Due to a few extenuating circumstances that alone weren't too bad, but together created a dilemma for me, I ended up with no keys to the only car that I could have taken to the church. I was stuck. After Alli brought me keys, and I was driving to the church, it occured to me that like my dilemma, without the keys of the Gospel on the earth today, each of us would be unable to get where we are going. I'm grateful for those keys, held by the Prophet that enable us to obtain saving ordinances for ourselves as well as others. (Probably not a new object lesson, but it was new to me.)

And finally in the editorial section, I want to put in my two cents worth about politics. I really like the image Sarah Palin portrays in the media. I'm pretty sure she has more self-confidence in her pinkie than I possess at all. I don't hold it against her that her teenage daughter is pregnant. I don't know enough else about her to judge if she is a good candidate or not. I do know this - I'm so glad I can be there for my kids to help them get things ready for the fair, work with them in the yard, cheer them on in soccer games, volunteer in their schools, read with them, and sit with them in church. I truly can't imagine being able to do any of those things and being VP of America. I don't fault her for her ambition, I do question how she is able to be a Governor and the mother of 5 children. That is way more than I could handle. I imagine there are a few nannies involved, but nannies aren't moms. - M.R.





2 comments:

  1. Good, but overdue post. (Okay, so I am tough to please.)

    As for Palin, does the constant talk of her "character", energy policies, ethics reform or problems, and motherhood, speak volumes for the fact that there isn't much else to talk about? She seems a quite hollow, although ambitious, confident, and energetic. In summary, she is a political tool to rally the conservative base and try and snag a few women voters....let's all see it for what it is. Ron Paul for President.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please...save me from the politics of my household!!! I loved your post Mom. Kudos on getting the text and pictures to all work out and look great. You're becoming quite the blogger...though I agree with bpeay that it was a bit overdue. You can try for a perfect 10 next time. ;-) Love ya!

    ReplyDelete